Thursday, February 4, 2010

Parenting: Lauver Family Style

Welcome to the weekly Blog Hop! Anyone is free to join in. Simply enter your information in the MckLinky at the bottom of this post, repost the MckLinky code in your own post on the topic, and enjoy your fellow bloggers' posts. Remember to leave some Comment Love!


 
 
This week's topic: What aspects of your parents' parenting do you want to continue in parenting your own kid(s)?

Looking back, I had an awesome childhood filled with fun memories. My parents raised two successful, self efficient, beautiful daughters:
A few things I take from my own mom & dad and use them in my parenting tool box are the following:
  • Unconditional Love: My parents loved both my sister & I no matter what shanigans we I got in to. My dad used to say, "I will love you 110% even if you burn the house down."
  • Humor: My parents used a lot of humor in parenting both my sister and I. Let's face it kids are funny, situations are funny and if you don't laugh at them you will never survive parenthood.
  • Responsibility: We had chores (and did not get paid to do them...gasp!) around the house starting from age 3. We had to take responsibility for our things as well as our actions. As far as the actions part, I remember getting detention in 7th grade for chewing gum. My mom had me write an apology letter to the teacher with instructions that I read the letter aloud in class.
  • Strong Work Ethic: Both my sister & I had jobs from an early age. We were not given things on a silver platter. I worked & babysat so I could afford the Abercombie jeans & American Eagle outfits.
  • Family Dinners: Even though K & I were involved in school activities as a family, we ate dinner together as a family at least 4X a week. This is where my parents would grill me on all the latest school gossip. (I have a big mouth)
  • The love of the Cleveland Indians. This is directly from my dad. My dad had no sons and passed down his love of baseball to my sister & I. Baseball dates were more than just watching the hapless Cleveland Indians, they were a chance to talk to us girls about dating, life, and school. I hope to continue these baseball dates for my own children in remberance of my dad.
(A little side note to my parents)
Mom: Thanks for all the advice & letting me call you almost every day on what to do with Miss Drama & Mr. Party All the Time.
Dad: I know you are looking down on us and guiding me in the humor part. :) I miss you and I can see you in both of the kids.

Mom & Dad, thank you for being tough, loving, funny, and making me the woman/wife/mom I am today. I love you both.


MckLinky Blog Hop

5 comments:

Kuparstwn said...

Oh my God, I'm already a bad parent. I forgot to include Teaching Your Kids How to be a Cleveland Sports Fan!

(And a little bit you made me cry at the end there.)

Dana Herro said...

This needs a Facebook "like" icon :)

Unknown said...

Your note to your parents made me cry!

Humor is an often underrated parenting skill.

andrea said...

*love*

you're parents sound a lot like my mom - no wonder we are so awesome!

Ándrea said...

LOVE this post.