Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Food!

A little background...back when I was planning our wedding, I was on the Knot.com & met some wonderful women who have become some of my closest friends. We are doing a Wednesday weekly blog round up....

Food. Glorious Food. Back when Elise was small, I had grand visions of her loving all different kinds of food. She would be adventerous like me not like her picky father (who hates cooked tomatoes!?!?). We started off good, she loved squash, sweet potatos, broccoli, peas, apples, pineapples, chicken, beef, noodles, etc.

Then we hit 3. If it were up to Chef Elise, she would eat princess fruit snacks, goldfish, chocolate milk with a side of broccoli.

However, when push comes to shove she will eat new things. Some of her healthier favorites are meatballs, cottage cheese & applesauce, fruit smoothies, mac n' cheese, watermelon, strawberries, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, cooked carrots, tomatoes (raw and cooked-yay!), oatmeal, blueberries, fish sticks, waffles, yogurt, turkey dogs, and pb & j.

Elise's not so faves include chicken (which we make her eat anyway), peas, and lunchmeat.

However, I want her to try new things so this month, I started food of the week. At first we tried cucumbers, those were a hit and then cooked carrots (since this was a fave back in the day) and another hit!  Last week we tried starfruit, it was a total bust. Neither Elise nor I liked it. Tomorrow is Kiwi day...Anyone else have suggestions on fun food we can try?

William, well he likes breast milk because that is all he knows. However, I see him eyeing my plate and giving me puppy dog looks ;)



ETA: Kiwi was a HUGE hit!!! :) In fact she cleaned me out of all the kiwis I bought! Going to add that to the grocery list for next week too. :)

6 comments:

Dana Herro said...

awww so cute!! :)
I love the food of the week idea. That's a really good one!

Unknown said...

Brilliant - Food of the week! I'm going to remember that when A hits the "goldfish" stage! Chicken seems like a weird thing not to like. It is so...chicken-y. lol. We eat way too much chicken.

Kuparstwn said...

Food of the week IS a great idea! I will see if I can think of some creative new things for you (her) to try.

andrea said...

food of the week = awesome!
what about mango? i love it!

Brooke said...

I'm going to remember that too. I love that E is so princessy!

michele_kotrba@hotmail.com said...

What about frozen peas (still frozen)?! I know you said she doesn't like peas, but maybe with them being frozen she'll think it's cool. My kids eat them as a SNACK!! Good luck, I'll let you know if I think of anything else.